Senior Cloud Engineer
Is automation more than just a buzzword? Are you comfortable explaining technology to others? Are you passionate about software development at work and at home? If your answer is “yes”, we would like to talk you!
Why you should join Nortal:
- Keep your skills fresh by working with some of the newest technologies and tools out there
- Join a small, highly collaborative team with growth opportunities
- Many client engagements each bringing new challenges and opportunities for growth
What makes Nortal unique:
- We don't just build software; we approach development as a well-honed craft.
- We are experts who believe in being innovative while having fun, and working continuously to refine our skills.
- We are committed to excellence in everything we do, from the technology we choose to the people who make up our team. With excellence as a guiding principle, we deliver quality results that ensure client satisfaction.
- We approach work with integrity. We do what we say we'll do, and we operate with transparency and honesty.
- We work cohesively and see each person at Nortal as a critical contributor. We prize teamwork, and support each other in providing the best results for our clients. No one on our team is superior to another - we help each other out, in the spirit of personal growth.
- We don’t deploy into infrastructure, we build with infrastructure
Essential functions and responsibilities:
- Automate deployment, monitoring, management and incident response
- Develop and improve operational practices and procedures
- Proactively meet standards for information security and compliance, such as ISO, SOX, SSAE 16, etc.
- Collaboration with on-shore and off-shore teams (both client and internal)
- Interfacing and facilitating the successful completion of Rehosting and Replatforming client projects including identifying, communicating and delivering on Milestones throughout implementation
- Participate in Sprint Planning meetings, take ownership for user stories, development tasks and testing
- Mentorship of junior team members
- Automation related to ensuring the infrastructure state (We use Ansible, Terraform, Helm & CloudEndure).
- Automated building of Containers, Machine Images & Baked VMs
- Multiple deployment styles including rolling deployments, blue/green and canary builds
- Wide-area, shared and networked Persistent disk management with disaster recovery options
- Monitoring and measurement (Prometheus, Grafana, Fluentd, SysDig, StackDriver, SumoLogic, Splunk)
- Disaster Recovery vs. Redundancy scenarios
- Multi-zone and Multi-region
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Computer Systems Management (or equivalent work experience)
- Proven leadership experience – on teams and out in the technical community
- 7+ years operations support deploying web services/web applications experience
- 3+ years of experience hands-on and managing teams of DevOps or SysAdmins
- Proficient with Python or Golang
- Cloud experience (AWS, Google, Azure, private cloud) using networking, firewalls, compute machines, multiple storage technologies and managed services
- Experience with SSH configuration and key management
- Experience building and delivering containers for applications (e.g. rkt, cri-o, Docker)
- Experience with container orchestration (Mesos, Kubernetes, Docker Compose)
- Experience with Infrastructure-as-Code (e.g. Ansible, Terraform, Google Deployment Manager, CloudFormation, etc)
- User-level familiarity with modern build experience tools such as Maven/SBT/Grunt/Webpack/npm and familiar with continuous integration (e.g. Jenkins, TeamCity) systems
- Strong understanding of system and networking concepts and troubleshooting techniques
- Very comfortable with Linux & Network administration including load balancing, routing, firewalls, VPN
- Experienced with disaster recovery and understanding of high availability
- Strong understanding of project lifecycle and delivery
- Experience using CAP Theorem (Consistency, Availability, Partitioning) to configure systems
- DevOps experience (e.g. Ansible, Kubernetes, Mesos)
- Experience setting up new Google Cloud Platform projects
- NoSQL experience (e.g. MongoDB)
- Good communication skills to convey technical and project status to multiple audiences
- Comfortable describing how applications and cloud interact with the various OSI levels
- Experience working with certificates & encryption methods for TLS and static encryption
Tooling we use:
- Github for code
- Trello for tasks
- Vault for secrets
- Slack for all communications
- Ansible for server states
- Terraform for infrastructure states
- Python or Go for everything else